This week the Clean Energy Council released Power Shift: A blueprint for a 21st century energy system.
Clean Energy Council Chief Executive Kane Thornton said Power Shift contained many actions that could be integrated by policymakers and regulators to pave the way for a modern energy system which creates a more competitive market and empowers consumers to generate, store and manage their own electricity use.
And there are many benefits on offer from the move to a cleaner and smarter way of producing and using electricity across the country.
Some of these benefits include:
- Positioning Australia at the forefront of energy innovation and cementing our competitive advantage in niche aspects of clean energy development and integration
- The cost of renewable energy will soon be cheaper than any alternative for energy generation
- The creation of new economics opportunities and jobs, particularly in rural and regional Australia. The current Renewable Energy Target is expected to unlock $40 billion of investment and 15,200 jobs
- Driving and attracting new investment. According to Bloomberg New Energy Finance, global investment in new clean energy reached a record US$329 billion in 2015. By 2030 this opportunity is predicted to deliver more than US$5 trillion of investment globally
- Reducing Australia’s reliance on volatile and expensive fossil fuels, while allowing it to maximise its energy export opportunities
- Empowering consumers to play an active role in managing and producing their electricity.
The full Power Shift blueprint is available for download at cleanenergycouncil.org.au/powershift