Grid Connections Manager
- Exciting opportunity to join our Engineering team to manage the grid connection processes needed to secure network access and connection agreements for Pacific Hydro’s Australian projects.
- Melbourne based
- Permanent, full-time position.
This role will report to the Executive Manager, Engineering and will manage the grid connection processes needed to secure network access and connection agreements for Pacific Hydro’s Australian projects. This position will lead relevant teams and resources to support new grid connections, manage associated projects and budgets and represent Pacific Hydro in relevant forums relating to grid connection of renewable energy projects.
Key Activities and Result Areas include:
- Coordinating technical, commercial and legal teams (including external consultants) to provide specialist advice and direct their efforts on particular assignments to support new grid connections.
- Leading technical workstreams for new grid connections.
- Managing connection projects and associated resources and budgets within the broader project budget and schedule and coordinate with the relevant project manager/owner.
- Support representation of Pacific Hydro in industry, regulatory and agency forums relating to grid connections of renewable energy projects and champion the cause of the business and projects.
- Leading the negotiation of network access and connection agreements to secure arrangements on favourable terms.
- Leading the network modelling work required to obtain grid connection.
- Supporting the development of and influence the implementation of alternative commercial strategies and modes of operation to deliver performance improvements and provide value adding to the development, delivery and operational projects.
- Working collaboratively to support the effective management of interfaces between assets and their respective high-voltage transmission/distribution systems.
- Supporting the management of the commercial activities of the business associated with high-voltage transmission systems (e.g. with Commercial or Finance team), by providing advice on effective management of interfaces and working collaboratively with both internal and external parties.
- Maintaining regular site contact for the purposes of site familiarity, smooth delivery and familiarity with plant and equipment across the asset base.
- Participating in relevant industry forums to champion the Company’s position and interests and feedback to the organisation relevant industry issues, trends and opportunities.
- Supporting the development of the broader team through knowledge sharing of grid connection aspects appropriate to the relevant team/audience including the development, delivery, operations teams and the broader engineering function across the business.
- Providing guidance and support as required in the identification, evaluation and management of risks affecting the connection aspects of development, delivery and generation assets.
- Managing internal and external resources to ensure they meet their obligations
- Build and maintain strong relationships with transmission and distribution network service providers, regulators, the wholesale market operator, other market participants and specialist consultants including JV parties and consortium partners
- Liaise with the Asset Integrity Manager (Operations) to ensure that the Company’s compliance obligations are actively maintained, managed and kept up- to-date with particular focus on the compliance obligations allocated to the position title as identified in the Company’s Register of Compliance Obligations (as set out in the Compliance Procedure and as amended from time to time).
- Liaise with Procurement to identify the most effective procurement strategies that enable optimum outcome for overall project costs and timeframes.
Skills and Knowledge/Experience required to be successful:
- Tertiary qualifications in Electrical Engineering or relevant.
- Demonstrated experience in negotiating and executing connection agreements for renewable energy assets
- Strong knowledge of the National Electricity Rules, connection requirements and the rights and obligations of connecting generators
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the National Electricity Market including drivers and risks
- Understanding of renewable energy project grid integration principles and requirements
- Experience in developing and implementing engagement strategies specific to key stakeholders
- Strong management and coordinate skills and ability to drive project team to achieve outcome in line with overall project schedule and budget.
- Sound commercial acumen relating and experience in commercial negotiations with TNSP and DNSP businesses.
- Demonstrated stakeholder management skills with internal and external stakeholders.
- Extensive professional network in the grid connections space preferred.
- Commercial and/or legal training preferable.
In this role you will also benefit from:
- Competitive salary package and incentive bonus program.
- An always-changing calendar of fun events and friendly competitions.
- Reward and Recognition Program.
- Work and life balance and flexible work arrangements
- Modern open plan office with ergonomic standing desks
- Office location next to Southern Cross Station and tram stops
- A team that is inclusive and supportive.
Please attach your cover letter and CV as one attachment to your application and include:
- Rights to work in Australia (essential)
- Salary Package Expectation (including superannuation)
Friday 10 September 2021
Please note that only successful shortlisted candidates will be contacted due to the large volume of applications.
Note to Agencies:
Please note we are directly recruiting this role and all candidates should apply directly to Pacific Hydro.