plus Created with Sketch. ! arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up Asset 9Asset 7Asset 2 Group 2 Created with Sketch. Rectangle 11 Copy 4 Created with Sketch. Asset 6 close Asset 5 Icon/news/default Asset 20 arrow Created with Sketch. edit Group Created with Sketch. Icon/Learning/Active Icon/Learning/Inactive Shape Asset 10 instagram linkedin Asset 8 Icon/news/default menu send-2 Created with Sketch. Asset 3 pin Asset 14 search share Asset 15Asset 16Asset 19 twitter Asset 11

Consumer enquiries

If you are a consumer with an enquiry or complaint about solar or storage, find out what actions you can take and who you can get in touch with.

General enquiries

If you are looking for information about installing solar or storage, or general information about the clean energy industry in Australia, please take a look through our website for the relevant information. We have a number of guides to help consumers know what to look for when buying solar and storage, and tools to help you find an installer or retailer.

Looking for advice on solar or storage?

If you are looking for more detailed information or advice on buying solar or storage, you can contact Renew. Renew runs a phone service for general enquiries which is free for Renew members. Additionally, they offer a paid advice service for members and non Renew members where you can speak to a solar power expert. To find out more visit their website.

You can also get more information from the following websites:

Write to us

If you would like to get in touch regarding a consumer enquiry, please contact us via the following form.

To ensure your query is processed quickly, please provide us with all of your contact details and a detailed description of your enquiry.

Your enquiry


The Clean Energy Council can investigate complaints regarding Clean Energy Council Approved Solar Retailers and Clean Energy Council accredited installers. We cannot investigate disputes regarding companies or individuals who are not in the above two categories. However, we have put together a list of organisations to contact if you have other disputes.

Clean Energy Council accredited installers

If you have a complaint against the accredited installer who came and installed your system, you can submit a complaint through our online complaints form.

Complaints can be submitted related to:

  • faulty or poor workmanship such as faulty wiring and labelling
  • the use of modules and inverters that do not meet the Australian Standards.

The Clean Energy Council will only investigate complaints where the system has been installed within the past five years.

Clean Energy Council Approved Solar Retailers

Approved Solar Retailers have committed to responsible sales and marketing activities, and solar industry best practice.

If you have a complaint against an Approved Solar Retailer as you believe they have breached their obligations, you can submit a complaint through our online complaints form. All complaints against Clean Energy Council Approved Solar Retailers are investigated.

What to do if the company has gone out of business

If the solar retailer has become insolvent and you are unable to contact the manufacturer, you can lodge a complaint with the solar retailer's administrators.

You can find out if a company has become insolvent via the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) website or by phoning 1300 300 630. Your local Office of Fair Trading may also have information about the appointment of external administrators for insolvent companies.

If the manufacturer has gone into administration, you can lodge a complaint with the company's administrators. As a consumer, you may become an unsecured creditor. If the external administrator fails to deal with your queries or complaints, you can lodge a complaint with ASIC.

If you are concerned about electrical safety

If you are concerned about the safety or technical compliance of your solar system, you should contact the electrical authority in your state or territory:

  • ACT: Planning and Land Authority, (02) 6207 1923
  • NSW: Fair Trading, 13 32 20
  • NT: NT WorkSafe, 1800 019 115
  • QLD: Electrical Safety Office, (07) 3225 2000
  • SA: Office of the Technical Regulator, (08) 8226 5518
  • TAS: Office of Electricity Standards and Safety, (03) 6233 7851
  • VIC: Energy Safe Victoria, (03) 9203 9700
  • WA: EnergySafety, (08) 9422 5200

If you have problems with your electricity retailer or distributor

If you have a complaint about your electricity retailer or electricity distributor, you can contact the Energy Ombudsman in your state or territory:

  • ACT: ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal, (02) 6207 7740
  • NSW: Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW, 1800 246 545
  • NT: Ombudsman for the Northern Territory, 1800 806 380
  • QLD: Energy and Water Ombudsman Qld, 1800 662 837
  • SA: Energy and Water Ombudsman SA, 1800 665 565
  • TAS: Energy Ombudsman Tasmania, 1800 001 170
  • VIC: Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria, 1800 500 509
  • WA: Energy Ombudsman WA, 1800 754 004

For example, the Energy Ombudsman may be able to help if your complaint is about:

  • the provision and supply of electricity
  • failure to provide or supply electricity services
  • quality of electricity supply
  • billing
  • credit and payment services
  • electricity disconnections
  • connection or transfer issues
  • actions of a supplier which affect your property
  • metering not working.

Small claims tribunal or court

Should you be unable to resolve your dispute to your satisfaction with assistance from either the Clean Energy Council or the Office of Fair Trading, you can take your complaint to the appropriate Small Claims Tribunal or Court in your state or territory.

You should seek independent legal advice about whether this option is available and suits your circumstances.

  • ACT: Small Claims Court, (02) 6217 4272
  • NSW: Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal, 1300 135 399
  • NT: Local Court - Small Claims Division (limit is $10,000 and claims must be lodged within 2 years of the event), (08) 8999 6298
  • QLD: Small Claims Tribunal (the limit on a small claim is $7500), (07) 3225 2000
  • SA: Magistrates Court - Small Claims (deals with disputes of up to $5000), (08) 8204 2444
  • TAS: Magistrates Court - Minor Civil Claims Division (any dispute claiming $5000 or less), (03) 6233 3623
  • VIC: Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (no limit to the amount you can claim), (03) 9628 9830
  • WA: Magistrates Court, (08) 9425 2222